Friday, June 30, 2017

eBay Quilts

Sometimes I look on eBay for quilt tops or quilts for sale.
The two quilts I will share today are little quilts that I bid on and won.

The Bear Quilt 

This was just a quilt top when I received it.
It was pieced together and was a bit wonky in the corners.
I'm the type of person who wants to save quilts
and decided to do the best I could with it.
I added batting and a backing.


Here is a picture of the backside of the quilt.
I heavily hand quilted this piece;
 and I put on the strip to be able to hang the quilt.


Here is a close up of some of my stitches.


I have this quilt hung up on a wall.  I just have some tacks holding it up for now.
I usually use some dowel sticks to hang the quilts on,
but it makes this wall hanging quilt not hang properly.
So I will look for something to use
that is flat.



The second little quilt I will share today is dated 1994; 
there is a name of Marie Hunter hand written in the corner.
I call this one: 

The Eagle Quilt


This little quilt came to me with just some machine quilting;
the maker machine stitched the house, eagle and vine designs,
there is also a rabbit in the lower right corner.

I added the hand quilting stitches around the edges.
In blog land some quilters really love Eagles.
I like the historic look to this quilt.


I need to sew a strip of fabric across the back;
 to be able to hang this little quilt up.

As much as I enjoy making quilts myself, I also enjoy buying quilts.
Especially when they are not too high priced.
I enjoy collecting quilts of different styles, colors and sizes.
I always seem to add my personal touch to the already created items.

For me the best finds come when you are not looking for them.

~ Sandra ~


16 comments:

  1. Very pretty little quilts, and your stitching is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, both of these quilts are lovely. Amazing how hand quilting makes them so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hand quilting is so perfect. It makes the pieces look lovely. Hugs, lJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful that you give these quilts their fullest and loveliest expression! That is so neat. The eagle quilt is perfect for the upcoming holiday. Your stitches are beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love being able to look at a quilt and see what I can do to add a little bit more.

      Delete
  5. I so admire your hand quilting, and your quest to save quilts. A couple of days ago, I fell in love with a lap-sized quilt I saw at an antique mall. I talked myself out of buying it, but haven't been able to get it off my mind. I may go back to see if it's still there. :~) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that the quilt will still be there if you go back; then maybe it was meant to be! I always wonder about the original maker of the quilts; and (as a quilter myself) I am happy when a quilt goes to a home where it will be loved and appreciated.

      Delete
  6. The quilts are lovely and when you fine one that 'speaks' to you, its really hard to resist it. You've done an amazing job on hand quilting them and what treatures you have now. I really like the log cabin blocks in the corner of the bear quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The log cabin blocks were quite wonky. I wanted to leave the quilt top as it was so I just worked with them the best I could.

      Delete
  7. Oh my, such lovely pieces for your home. Your stitching is so perfect. Thank you for sharing. Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teri. The stitching takes lots of time and patience; but I love it.

      Delete
  8. Love what you have done with the little quilts - they make such nice wall hangings. I love it when I find a quilt that is a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bargains are fun and they make for less guilt on spending money! ;)

      Delete