Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Winter Spirit

I had hoped to have this little quilt finished in January when a lot of quilters were sharing their projects in the color blue.  Thought I would go ahead and share this today; as some people are still having snow.  The quilt top was made quite some time ago.  I wanted to have a finish and have been stitching on this little project through January.


It is from the book Patriotic Little Quilts.  The pattern is Winter Spirit.  I did not add the flag on my quilt.  If you click on the picture you should see a more close up view of the book sample.


I used some scrappy blues and hand appliqued the little snowman.  I gave him a hat and scarf. 


The quilt measures 18 1/2" X 24".  The pattern says 19" X 25".  I already put this little quilt through the wash and dryer and I am guessing it shrunk a bit.  This is machine pieced, and both machine and hand quilted.  I am finding it difficult for this to lay flat and not pucker here and there.



I still need to sew a fabric sleeve on the back to hang the quilt.  I collect free hangers from Sears; they have filled up a large bag now and then and have just given them to me for free.  I like to keep them on hangers when not hung on the wall.  In hopes that they won't get creases from being folded.



This will be fun little quilt to hang in my home in the month of January!

~Sandra~

9 comments:

  1. I love this pretty, blue, little quilt of yours Sandra. The varying shades of blue and grey fabrics are perfect and your snowman adds a lovely touch of whimsy. It is perfect for the month of January in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's adorable. I really love your choice of fabrics. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cute! I love snowmen of all sizes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so pretty and I do love snowmen so I think it is especially nice :) We are getting more snow now then we have had all winter so this would be perfect to have hanging even in February ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love the varying shades of blue and grey fabrics you have used in this lovely little quilt. What fun it would be to make one of these small doll-sized quilts for each month of the year. We have seen no snow this year, so thanks for sharing a bit of your North Dakota winter blues with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute pattern. Hummm, I may have to try this and I love the blues. I never thought of hanging my small quilts up. What a great idea using hangers, as I hate it when they get creases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pieced background for the snowman works well. Gives a wintery look. I love snowman designs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandra, Such a gorgeous blue and cute pattern with the snowman. I love snowmen throughout the winter months. You design beautiful quilts and such a joy to view here. Thank for sharing. Blessings for a nice Valentine weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is sew cute. I just love your snowman. What a great idea for storing quilts. Thank you for sharing.
    I have been reading your blog and I just love your quilts.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete