Friday, February 5, 2016

The Airplane Quilt

What do you buy for a girl who fly's airplanes for a career?   This was bought back when my son was dating a pilot and they were making plans to spend the rest of their lives together.  It was Christmas and I found this quilt on eBay for sale.  It had airplanes and it was pink; she likes pink!  A good buy too.  I think it was meant to be!


The girl is now our daughter-in-law (#1) and she is a flight instructor.  I love to hear her talk about being up in the air and seeing all the sights.  I am afraid it would not be something for me; too small of a space to sit in and I am afraid of heights!  I envy her that she can enjoy it and spends time teaching others.


This quilt was all hand pieced and hand quilted.  It is in excellent condition.  My DIL has a grand-mother who makes quilts; and her mother just finished putting together a king size quilt, and now my DIL has started to make some quilts herself.  So her collection will grow with time.

~Sandra~

11 comments:

  1. Cute quilt! Lucky girl to be surrounded by sew many quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are so perfect for Valentines. What a cute quilt, love the airplane blocks. I don't like to fly...it's an endurance test for me. I guess I like my feet planted on the ground. Love to hear the love of quilting passing on to another generation. No one quilted in my family. My youngest daughter does seem to have an interest in it....yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet quilt. I think I have some of that tiny flowered fabric in my stash. Your DIL is fortunate to have so many quilters in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt, such lovely colors! Thanks so much for your recent visit to my blog and for leaving such a nice comment.
    Have a great weekend,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt, such lovely colors! Thanks so much for your recent visit to my blog and for leaving such a nice comment.
    Have a great weekend,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect quilt for a girl that flies! I have never seen that block. Love it. It could easily be for a guy with other fabrics and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This block is new to me also, but I do like it. Your beautiful quilts must be sources of inspiration for your daughter-in-law. I like to keep my feet on the ground too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun quilt and perfect for her! Even with all of my unfinished projects I have to start a new one. My grandson is getting married in June and they would like a quilt. I guess a deadline will help me to get er done! lol!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pattern, who would have thought of that! Isn't amazing what you can do with just squares and triangles! That's why I love quilting! I am so glad your DIL is doing what she really loves. I've often wondered what it would be like to be a bird, flying high, seeing the world. But, alas, I can only enjoy pictures. Good to hear that sewing/quilting is continuing in the younger generations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does sound like it was meant to be, very pretty and how neat that she is starting to make them herself. I am with you I am afraid of heights so I wouldn't be able to be a pilot, plus I get motion sick in planes :(

    ReplyDelete