Saturday, January 30, 2016

Updating "Desert Rose Quilt"

Since I have last shared this quilt top that I received from my daughter-in-law (#2); it was an unfinished project by her great-grandmother.  The quilt top was in a hope chest of her grandmother who has recently passed away.  This is the before borders picture.


And this is the after adding borders, batting and backing.  The backing is the same blue fabric as the borders.  I pieced it down the middle.  We had enough of the blue to do the whole quilt.


Her great-grandmother had already made a pattern with pencil on all the white blank squares; so I have been using that for the quilting design.  I added the middle simple pinwheel pattern in the center to add to the design.


Here is a close up of the hand quilting thread that I chose to use for this quilt.  A variegated thread of blue's from light to dark.  


I placed the quilt on top of our queen size bed to show the size.  It is the same size as our queen size comforter.  My daughter-in-law hopes to just keep this quilt folded and displayed atop a hope chest someday.


I have kept the quilt as original as I could.  I did not want to remove any of the stitches that her great-grandmother put in.  This quilt was all cut using cardboard and paper patterns and hand stitched together.  I am told that she often quilted and collected pieces from anything that she could find.  She also did intricate embroidery and quilted by hand.  She had a quilting frame and set it on the back of four chairs and she would hand quilt it there.

My daughter-in-law has asked me to finish this quilt for her.  She does not want me to rush and she has even suggested my enjoying it for awhile; she just would like to inherit it back to her someday.  My plan is to finish the quilt and gift it back to her as soon as it is finished.

I am not a fast quilter and I seem to have more than one project going at a time; but still I hope to not take a long time getting this quilt finished.

Sandra


21 comments:

  1. It's lovely of you to finish this beautiful quilt for your daughter-in-law, and that you are keeping her great-grandmother's original work and designs in the finishing. I'm sure it is an enjoyable project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue fabric you've chosen for the borders is perfect!
    It really compliments all the beautiful blues in the blocks.
    What a beautiful labor of love you are doing for your daughter in law. I'm sure she will cherish this family treasure always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The border fabric is just perfect and compliments the quilt top. This is a treasure your daughter-in-law will enjoy forever, especially with your careful attention to detail in the beautiful hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful piece. Your daughter-in-law will truly treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilt - love the border. A very special treasure from several generations. You are all lucky to be involved in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done for finishing that lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how beautiful and a lovely story. I love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful quilt and now you will be part of the legacy. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely thing for you to do for your DIL!!! That is a treasure that will last forever - and you are now part of its heritage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful quilt and story. Your hand quilting is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absoliutely gorgeous quilt! What a legacy that you have participated in. Your choice of border and quilting design is perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sandra, such a beautiful quilt and such a nice family piece. How lucky you are to have it and be able to complete it.
    Thank you for your recent visit to my Master Bath, and for the kind comment. I really appreciate it, and glad you approve! :)
    Have a wonderful week,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandra, such a beautiful quilt and such a nice family piece. How lucky you are to have it and be able to complete it.
    Thank you for your recent visit to my Master Bath, and for the kind comment. I really appreciate it, and glad you approve! :)
    Have a wonderful week,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great and I like the thread you chose to do the quilting, how special that you are doing this for her, I am sure she will treasure it always and so happy that it won't be tucked away where no one can enjoy it, Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bow down to anyone that will hand quilt a quilt, let alone a large quilt. This will truly be a treasure for your daughter-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such an exquisite quilt. It is wonderful you are going to lovingly hand quilt this beauty so that your daughter-in-law can enjoy and treasure it, bringing to mind lovely memories of her great grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the story. DIL is very lucky to have you. Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great blessing your daughter-in-law has in you. It is an act of love to take up another woman's work and to honor it as you do. I am so happy that you visited me so I could follow you home. ; >

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty and love the blue thread that you quilted it with. It looks great on the bed and I know she will enjoy it always.

    ReplyDelete