Saturday, January 23, 2016

New Year, New Inspiration

I needed some more hand quilting thread last Saturday.  While shopping at JoAnn's Fabric Store I looked at the quilting books for inspiration for new quilts.  I saw this book using Civil War Reproduction Fabrics.  This is something new to me and something that I think will work well in my home and style.


I did not have any Civil War Reproduction Fabrics to start a new quilt with; but I was anxious to try one of the patterns in the book.  I went through my scraps and picked out some that I thought would work.  I have lots of small scraps of material in my stash.  I found this pattern called "Small Joys" that uses a lot of small pieces.  This is what I worked on last week.


I machine pieced the quilt and then I used both machine and hand quilting on finishing the quilt.  Here is a picture with lighting that shows more of the quilting designs.  The quilt measures 17 inches by 22 inches. 


I ordered some Civil War fabrics from eBay and they arrived in yesterdays mail.  I will be adding to these prints and using them in some of the other patterns.


Sometimes my husband will just order a surprise for me and what a surprise to receive this present in the mail one day.  It goes well with my little quilt.


I hope to be able to stay focused on quilting and make lots of new little quilts this year.  I am still busy hand quilting on some of my larger quilts.


Wishing you a safe and warm weekend.

Sandra

10 comments:

  1. It looks like you are off to a great start with your little quilts and your new fabrics are perfect for Civil War patterns. And what a great husband you have to surprise you with treats like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting my blog!!! I have to say I love your little quilt, so cute and I think you picked out great fabrics! I have that book as well and there are some really cute projects....and I would say your hubby did real well! Cute, cute boxes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet and thoughtful husband. Great little quilts, and yes, we carry the book at the shop. It's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great little quilt, and that looks like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love civil war prints. Your quilt is darling. I think you are going to have some fun ahead with your new fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the reproduction civil war fabrics. Your little quilt is just beautiful. Have fun with the repo fabrics when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the little quilts. I just know you are going to enjoy working with the "old" prints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my what a lovely present from your husband. They go perfectly with the gorgeous little quilt you stitched. Civil War prints are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your small quilt is lovely and what a fun pattern. I would have a hard time trying to figure out what pattern I wanted to do first! Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete