Friday, September 4, 2015

Every Quilt has a Story

My story starts here with this quilt.  My husband took me to the local quilt store (over a year ago). We walked around and he wanted me to pick something out.  I tend to do scrappy quilts with whatever fabric I have in my stash.  He thinks if I am going to put as much work into the quilt as I do that I should pick out some new and good fabrics.  I wanted something he would like.  Something that he would be okay with my hanging on the walls or putting on the bed someday.  We found a sample on the wall that we both liked.  I bought the book with the pattern and we shopped for fabrics.  

Calypso from Layers of Charm by Minnesota Charms.com


Here are some close up of the fabrics:

deers and bears
pine cones
fishing lures
Here is another picture of the finished quilt top.  This quilt top was machine pieced and measures approximately 70 inches by 82 inches.


Well after sewing this quilt top together I had a lot of scraps left over.  So I started playing with another quilt idea.  This is what I came up with:


I call this "Log Cabin Squares".  It measures 52 by 61 inches.  This one is more of a lap quilt.  Here are some more close up pictures.



Here is another angle of the quilt top:



Well the story does not end there.  I still had some scraps left over.  So I started playing with another quilt idea.  I call this "Hour~Glass Log Cabin".


This little quilt only measures 36 inches by 38 inches.  And I added the addition of two different borders.  This little quilt is just recently finished.  It was machine pieced and hand quilted.


I just rotated dark triangles with neutral color triangles.  I only quilted the neutral color fabrics.


Here is a close up of the border and quilting design.  I used both neutral color quilt thread as well as some gray color thread.  I did not really want the stitching to show up as much on the green border.  And I used the same fabric to make the binding to match the border.


So with this little quilt is where I was going to start my story.  To show that I do finish some things all the way to the end.  But then I would have to describe how I came about this little quilt.  So I went back to the very beginning.  I hope I have not taken up too much of your time.

We will soon be going on a little road trip.  I might find a quilt shop or two along the way.  I am making a list of backings and battings that I need to start getting all these quilts done.

P.S. -- Some of you have seen these quilts before.  But, I had deleted my quilt blog when I went to take care of my mother last year.  So I thought it would be nice to add them back into my new blog.

Sandra


25 comments:

  1. I love all those quilts, but I especially love that little hour glass quilt. It's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the never-ending scraps! Three quilts from one original plan. Now, I have to ask, are there enough tiny bits left for a doll quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have a husband who is interested in your work! I love these woodsy/outdoorsy prints, and the quilts too. All three are fabulous quilts, but the little hour glass quilt really held me ! Your work is beautiful! Enjoy the road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your quilts just got better and better--more you! Love the progression. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your quilts just got better and better--more you! Love the progression. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra, I am trying to catch up with friends this morning. We are going to have a hot day here today. I always enjoy seeing what projects you have in the works. Have a safe adventure when you take your trip. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri friend Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. These quilts are just wonderful & what a journey the trip to the quilt store created. I love the fabric choices and colors. Amazing how each quilt looks so different. Beautiful work Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, so very nice! I love your fabric and colors. I loved how your hubby was a part of this. We are so blessed to have husbands who are interested in what is precious to us. Have a blessed weekend. Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh such a lovely story! The quilts I have made from leftovers are often times my favorites. I love working from what I have seems like it forces me to learn and grow. Love all your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three beauties!! It's always fun to use every little bit of a favorite fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the progression and each quilt growing from the one before - what a grand idea. I have that cream colored pine cone fabric - it is one of my favorites for sure. Love the hand quilting - so fine and pretty. Just loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh - forgot to say - love love love the header. I know that is called Bear's Paw - but with the swirly fabric it looks like chickens dancing - I could sit and look at it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Three wonderful and unique quilts from your fabrics! I love all three.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always start a road trip with great anticipation as to what lovely quilt shop I will happen upon. Your three quilts are lovely. I love what you came up with each time.....the fabric choices are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your quilts Sandra, so creative and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your story and I think all quilts have a story. I am amazed at how much fabric is left over to use to make something else, something fun. Yours are all fabulous quilts with wonderful fabric choices and you will enjoy them for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandra, your quilts are just beautiful. I love the fabrics. Love your story too and how after each quilt another developed. They all coordinate with each other too.
    Have fun on your road trip and I hope you come across wonderful quilt shops.
    Blessings, cm

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your husband chose very nice designed fabrics. A woodsy look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice story Sandra, I love your scrappy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You do such nice work. i really enjoyed your post. I hope to get back to quilting soon. I miss it. I went to my charity quilting group today...first one back after summer. It was so fun. We sorted fabrics and got a baby quilt finished up except for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You do such nice work. i really enjoyed your post. I hope to get back to quilting soon. I miss it. I went to my charity quilting group today...first one back after summer. It was so fun. We sorted fabrics and got a baby quilt finished up except for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all three of your quilts! It looks like you used every bit of the fabric you bought. Hope you have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I Love those Pine Cone fabrics! I'm always on the look out for pine cone fabric....Your quilting is very nice..as are your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How nice of your husband to take your to a quilt shop and help you pick out the perfect pattern. I love the fabrics you chose and how pretty your quilts are. Of course, the little quilt is my favorite. I hope you find more wonderful shops!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How nice of your husband to take your to a quilt shop and help you pick out the perfect pattern. I love the fabrics you chose and how pretty your quilts are. Of course, the little quilt is my favorite. I hope you find more wonderful shops!

    ReplyDelete