Friday, September 25, 2015

Calypso Quilt ~ Backing, Batting, Basted and Quilting

I purchased some batting and a backing for the Calypso Cabin Quilt for my husband.  And I spent a day basting it all together.
  

Here is the backing.  It is a lighter color than I would have hoped for.  The quilt store was all out of the original fabrics I have used in this quilt.  This was the closest choice and it was large enough I did not have to piece it together.  


Here is the stencil I chose to use for the center motif.


I will be quilting a quarter of an inch on all the rectangles and squares.  On the rectangles I have added the diamond shape.  Then in the center of each piece I will quilt this simple pinwheel shape.  I previewed it with my husband and he approved.  The pen markings are still on; so you see them as well as the quilting stitches.



Hand quilting is a long process for me.  I am so happy to have this one started.

Sandra

14 comments:

  1. Hand quilting is a sloooooow process, but I find it to be so enjoyable that I really don't mind the time it takes. It's definitely worth it in the end. I just love,the quilting design you've chosen for that quilt. I love the quilt itself - simple yet definitely not plain, and the fabrics are yummy! And your quilting design will be the icing on the cake. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sandra ... very, very nice. Thank you for sharing. I hope that you have a lovely fall weekend. Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hand quilting is something that has always fascinated me...it must look beautiful once its done :0) mari

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful little stitches you make!!! (I clicked to take a closer look) The quilting design you have chosen is just perfect for this quilt. What a great quilt this is going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful quilt!
    I love the look and soft feel that only hand quilting lends to quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandra, your stitches are just beautiful! And the motif you chose is perfect! This is going to be a wonderful quilt for your husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful quilt! You are so talented. Thanks for visiting Linderhof.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how it is turning out - I'm sure it will be enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is just wonderful and I love the quilting design you picked out for it. I love the backing fabric and not having to piece it is a big plus, I think my hand quilting turns out better than machine but just takes longer, I am sure I just need more practice, looks like your on your way to getting it finished by Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely quilting design. Your hand quilting is lovely. Many an enjoyable hour will be spent by you quilting this lovely quilt during the Fall/Winter. I love the muted pattern of the backing fabric. How wonderful there will be no seams. The addition of the diamond on the rectangles adds a lovely dimension. Your husband is going to love this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is coming along nicely and although done by hand, a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice quilt and I really like your quilting design. It's just right for that quilt. I like using different designs when I quilt. It make each one personalized.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quilting choices. Hand quilting is a long term project for me as well, so only some quilts get that treatment. Your always turn out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very clever with your quilting idea! Love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete