Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A trip to Colorado

While visiting with my youngest son and daughter-in-law in Colorado this past week; I was given some fun things to play with.  Treasures from her grandmother's home. My daughter-in-law is a commercial airline pilot.  She stays very busy and travels often.  So she really doesn't have time to sew or quilt.  She knows that I love all things about quilting; and offered me these gifts.

Here is a Flower Basket quilt top made by her great-grandmother and put into a hope chest of her grandmother.  It was never completed.


She also has a number of quilt blocks that just need to be put together into a quilt.  They are called Jacobs Ladder.  There are at least 26 of these blocks.


There are some books that are from 1942.  They are in wonderful shape and have quilt blocks and patterns included.  One shows that the book cost 10 cents!  The box also included some cardboard cut outs of the quilt pattern pieces she was using.


There were boxes of scraps of cloth.  Some quilting fabric as well as some better used for sewing rather than quilting.



Lots of patchwork pieces started...


And more blocks...fabrics from the 70's and some from earlier on.



We then went to the store and bought some quilt batting and some more fabrics.  I asked her to pick out something that she likes.  Then I will try and use these in the quilts that I create from all her grandmothers fabrics.  This is what she chose.


We found an all natural cotton batting that is made in the USA.


Here are close ups of the fabric she chose.



She gave this all to me.  She said to play with it and enjoy it.  Then someday she would like to inherit it back into their home.  I hope to start working on the flower basket quilt top first and when it is finished I will gift it to them to enjoy a piece from both her great-grandmother, and myself.  These types of things mean more to me than going to a quilt shop and buying brand new.

Thank you for your visit with me today.  I hope you have a good day.

Sandra

16 comments:

  1. Oh my, such a precious treasure to bring home with you. I always say homemade, heartmade, homespun are the most precious gifts that we can give. I hope that you have a good day as well. Blessings & Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. These old pieces certainly have fallen into the right hands! You will do beautiful things with all of these old treasures. The Jacob's Ladder blocks are really wonderful. Your daughter-in-law did a fantastic job choosing her fabrics. In Teri's comment above, I love her "homemade, heartmade, and homespun."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to have a DIL who loves quilts, isn't it? I have 3 of them who do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what wonderful gifts from you daughter in law! love the flower basket top, it's going to make a beautiful Quilt and your DIL gets to have it back again! wonderful! Happy sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! What a wonderful box of goodies to receive and give back. What fun you will have finishing them. That was a good idea to have your daughter-in-law pick out fabric that she likes. She will have great memories when she looks at the quilts, as there is something from all three of you in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sandra...what a delightful gift :0) mari

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great! Isn't it fun to work on something another woman has started? You wonder about her life and how much she enjoyed the quilting world. We'll look forward to seeing what you do with these blocks and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an awesome gift. The flower basket quilt is so special and you will make it look beautiful with your quilting. the Jacobs ladder blocks will make a stunning quilt too. So sweet of your daughter-in-law! Hope you had a great time visiting your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what priceless treasures! You are going to have the time of your life playing with all these pretties. I love the flower basket quilt top and the Jacob's Ladders blocks.....actually I love them all. Your DIL's choice of fabrics is superb. I am especially taken with the French looking fabric with all those chairs emblazoned on it. Have fun playing, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fabulous gifts! So wonderful they you're going to finish these lovely starts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sandra! You're going to be in hog, um, I mean quilt heaven! :) How sweet of your daughter in law to give you all of the quilt things! You're going to have so many things to keep you busy! Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Special..I agree with you. Better than anything you could buy.
    Love that blue fabric w/the birds..Thank you for visiting me today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is wonderful that you are able to work with what her grandmother had started and then she can inherit it back. When my parents passed away I got all the quilts and cross - stitchings I had done for them back, and I hope to pass them on to future generations. Enjoy creating with those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandra, what wonderful treasures! I too would rather have old than anything new. The flower basket is absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see it all finished and what fun you will have with the other blocks and fabrics.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful multi generation family story this is! I love that you are going to make a quilt to give back to your son and daughter in law. This is exactly what I love about quilting too!! Keep us up to date on this story please-I am going to want to hear more about these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this is what I love about quilters! How precious and lucky you. It I like the fabrics your DIL chose. Did you have a good trip? How fun.

    ReplyDelete