Friday, March 20, 2015

Progress and more Grandmothers Flower Gardens


I just finished sewing on all the rest of the leaves on both ends of the flowers.  I even have them all pressed and ready to start the cream color row that will be the next step on the quilt top.


But, I don't have the fabric.  I still need to go and do some shopping.  Maybe this weekend or hopefully next weekend at the latest.  So this one sits on the shelf for now and time to move forward on another UFO.

A very long time ago this wonderful and generous lady gave me a stack of quilt blocks.  The pieces were cut out by drawing with a cardboard pattern and then hand stitched together.  The pieces were not all the same size and the stitching was less than perfect.  She thought maybe I could do something with them.

I took apart all the blocks and made a new template that would best fit all the fabric I was given.  Then I started tracing, cutting and sewing together the new blocks as close to the original as I could.  I even had to piece some small bits of fabric to have enough to complete a full block.  Quite a few of the fabrics are truly old.  I did need to add in some of my reproduction fabrics to help get the quilt top complete.


The quilt is quite long and narrow.  I used all the fabric that was given to me.  Each hexie piece is around 1 and 5/8 inch in size.  They have all yellow centers for the flowers; followed by a circle of all solid color fabric and then finishing off with a circle of prints.  I think the green fabric that surrounds the whole quilt could have been from a sheet at one time.  These were pretty much the standard colors for Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilts.

Here are some close ups of some of the flower blocks.  



I have completely sewn this quilt back together again all by hand.  I am in the process of hand quilting as time permits.  I always say I will try and do one block a day; but sadly it just doesn't always happen.

As the quilt gets closer to finishing; I will see if I still have the cardboard cutouts and the rest of what she shared with me so many years ago.

This wonderful lady spent all her time doing the most wonderful things for everyone.  She sewed 100 baby quilts and donated them to the hospital (over time).  She would go to the thrift store and buy discarded stuffed animal and take them home and wash them and turn them into puppets and go to the Senior Home and entertain the men and women.  She was a teacher for her career life and then after retirement she spent time in her garden and doing for others. 

When she finally came to the decision of not being able to sew anymore; she asked me to come to her house and take her fabric.  Her only demand was that I could not pick through it.  I had to take it all.  I filled my car with so many wonderful piles of all kinds of different fabrics.  They have kept me busy for a long time.  I will always remember her with love in my heart.  She has passed away now.  Heaven has one special lady.

I still have more Grandmother Flower Garden Quilts to share at a later time.  I guess this pattern quilt has always been a favorite with me.

I will get the quilt back on the hoop now and try and get one flower block finished for today.

Thank you for your visits.

Sandra






26 comments:

  1. I like the turquoise background/garden paths of the hexagon quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what great gfg quilts! That was a very generous lady, and seeing how you take the time to appreciate the wonderful fabrics tells me she was probably very happy her fabric was going to someone who would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful quilt you are redoing and a nice story that goes along with it. You should type out the story and put it into a pocket that you stitch into the back of the quilt. Someday someone will read that story and cherish your quilt. I am amazed at the handiwork you do by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Your quilts are so pretty and Lady Jane's suggestion of putting the story into a pocket on the back of the quilt is a good idea! I also started out in the quilt world cutting pieces using a cardboard pattern. Over time they would get frayed. My husband's great aunt gave me a flower garden top she had started. She was sewing it on the machine and many of the seams were very tiny so it needs to be taken apart and fixed. Maybe next winter??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both projects - what a neat thing to have the blocks and fabrics from such a wonderful lady. Can't wait to see more of what you are doing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a big project. I just can't imagine tackling this one. You are amazing. How fun to see what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is going to be one gorgeous quilt! Love all the colors, too.

    The lady who gave you all the cloth sounded like a sweetheart. I'm sure she is enjoying her special spot in heaven! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an angel of a lady and how lovely you have a lot of her fabrics to remember her. This Grandmother Flower Garden quilt is so lovely. My, you have done a wonderful job in stitching this sweet quilt together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely quilts ... GFG is on my list, and seeing yours has certainly clinched its spot near the top of my list. What a wonderful woman ... so sharing and thoughtful. Her sweet spirit will live on in the quilts made from her fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dedication to redoing the blocks is wonderful - so much patience. They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely quilt to show us for the beginning of spring. The story of your talented and generous friend is truly heartwarming; thank you so much for sharing! I look forward to more show and tell from her heart and your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful Quilt. Y love it.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is so lovely. I started a Flower garden pattern years ago, but have not finished it. I found it hard to do and can not get motivated to continue. Seeing yours, makes we want to pull it back out and reassess. And how wonderful of your friend to give you her fabric. Memories are triggered when I see some of my fabrics from others. Ahh, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful "old" quilt! I love the colors and the way you mixed in the old pieces. And, stitched to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very beautiful, you do such lovely quilting! and all by hand! you have so much patience in re doing it all. a labour of love! it must be a wonderful feeling to see all the fabric your friend gave you being used. cant wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have left a wonderful legacy for that very special lady! I love stories like that! And I love your leaves on your flowers. It is going to be a wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful story about a very giving person and a very lovely quilt! It is amazing that you have taken it all apart to fix it! Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's beautiful. My Grandmother made quilts in this design....years and years ago. I just ordered a pillowcase doll kit. I'll let you know when I get it! I'm excited! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilt. Love the "fussy" cutting of the stripes and the green background is perfect. I'm sure you enjoy hand quilting this one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. What a great story….and a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, you have such patience ~ the result is a really fitting tribute to your generous friend, its beautiful and the background colour is just perfect.
    If I saw this in a shop I would want to buy it very much, (but probably wouldn't be able to afford it if the price reflected the amount of work in it!)
    Thank you for visiting me at Honeypot Cottage, Sandra! And following!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful...I have a quilt by my grandmother I need to finish...and it has the same colors and background...but your hexies are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful...I have a quilt by my grandmother I need to finish...and it has the same colors and background...but your hexies are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have several quilts from my sweet Momma and 3 that need to be finished, I am hopeful that I will gather the courage to finish them soon.
    Always a treat to see your quilts!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete