Thursday, March 19, 2015

Keepsake Diamonds


I am working on a Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt.  It is called Keepsake Diamonds.  I found the pattern in book by Sharlene Jorgenson.


The quilt design I am making will look like this.  Keepsake Diamonds is just one of many different pattern layouts for the grandmothers garden flower.  I have always enjoyed making these.  I always do hand piecing on this style block. 


I have all my flowers sewn together and I am now stitching on the first set of leaves; three on each end.  I am using three different colors of green for the leaves.


Here are a couple more samples of just the flowers that I have sewn together.  The stitching has all been done by hand.  This has been a long term project.  I used scraps from stash.


I have a plexiglass shape to cut all the pieces out with.  Each piece is 3" in size.  Here is a picture of the back side of a flower.  These pictures show you how I iron out all the seams.  This seems to work best for the block to lay flat. 



After I sew all the leaves on each end of the flowers; I will start the light color border and then a green border.  I don't have all the fabric yet to finish this quilt.  So I will see if I choose to go all scrappy or just use one color to form the paths around the flowers.


This is laid out on my carpet; so it is harder to really see the colors of each flower block.  I wanted to show you that I always have something I am working on.  I guess I should just show you the steps along the way rather than trying to wait until it is all finished.

With Spring a day away; I thought the flower garden quilt was the perfect quilt to be working on.  We have some snow on the ground today.  We won't be seeing much of flowers here until at least May.  But, I think this will help me to get in the Spirit of Spring.

I will sew some more leaves on the flowers today.  And I will update my progress with this quilt and many others that I am working on.

I am wishing you all a very Happy and Beautiful Spring with many flowers to enjoy.

Sandra








9 comments:

  1. Lovely colors - perfect for welcoming spring. I've made three Grandmother's Flower Garden bed size quilts - lots of handwork, but so much fun to watch the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to be beautiful! Lovely pattern and colors. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those...what a beautiful pattern that is going to be!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, indeed, just perfect for spring. And, I do enjoy seeing the steps along the way. I, too, am looking forward to flowers and the return of the hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh......what a treat to click on your lovely blog and see a lovely hexie quilt in the making! Your Keepsake Diamonds quilt is going to be amazing. I love all your pretty, scrappy hexagons! So, so much precise hand stitching but it will be well worth it when you have your glorious quilt to show for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to be such a pretty quilt! Thanks for showing the pressing. I haven't worked with hexies yet but I'm taking notes for that "someday" project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Lots and lots of piecing ahead of you. I've made these using both machine and hand piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog today. I too love hand work. I am currently learning to hand piece and am working on a Trip Around the World. So much fun I tried EPP but it made my hand hurt. Love the setting and look forward to watching your flower garden grow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful hexies! They will make a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete