Friday, February 20, 2015

Log Cabin Quilt

I have had this wall hanging quilt almost done for a long time.  I was never happy with it.  I thought I should have used a different color border to accent the quilt better.  Especially where the same color logs meet the border.  I finished adding the quilting along the border this past week and today I hand sewed on the hanger on the back of the quilt. 


Here is a close up of the quilting on the border.  I used a variegated blue thread when hand quilting the border; to bring up the color blue used in one of the logs of the log cabin blocks. I also hoped it would add some interest to the border. 


This quilt was machine pieced and hand quilted.  I have placed the quilt square in this picture.


I think the design shows best when looking from a distance.  The quilt measures 24 & 1/2 inches square.  I believe the pattern came from "Little Quilts".

It feels good to have another one finished.  I have so many that are almost finished.  I just need to keep working on one at a time so that someday my pile of finished quilts will be higher than the works in progress.

Sandra

13 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet quilt, Sandra. The solid border makes the pretty log design really pop. Oh my goodness, your hand quilt is so neat and even. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable little quilt! Genius idea to use the variegated blue quilting thread to bring out the blue in the quilt. I love log cabins anyway, but yours is just so delightful! How wide are the logs in this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely quilt! I love the contrast of the varigated blue thread and your hand stitches are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must add this little beauty to my favorites. I also love the contrasting blue thread in the border. You do have an eye for color and design...beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such intricate work!! I would have never thought of using blue on red! Your hand quilting is so beautiful too!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really lovely! I love the color! Do you ever sell your quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt! I love the border!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks SO much for stopping by and for your very kind and encouraging words about my gray hair!! LOL!!
    I think it will be better for me, healthier for my hair and definitely less expensive!! It will help as I prepare to go part time in November....

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very pretty quilt and the blue thread quilting is ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quilting - and the design. Always fun to have another finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandra, your quilt is beautiful. I love seeing all those gorgeous reds showcased by your lovely quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandra, my favorite color is red and this little quilt is wonderful! I love how the hand quilting adds another dimension to the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's adorable and nicely done!

    ReplyDelete