Monday, February 2, 2015

Cabin Maples

Cabin Maples
80" X 92"
Blocks = 9" sq.



In colors of cranberry's, greens, and tan's...I have pieced together this quilt from a pattern called: Cabin Maples by Thimbleberries "Collection of Classic Quilts, by Lynette Jensen".  The quilt is machine pieced and I am in the process of hand quilting this one.  This quilt has Log Cabin Blocks as well as the Maple Leaf Blocks and three borders.  I wish I had a wall space large enough to put this quilt on and then photograph it; but it is just too large so the floor will have to do. 

And with the left over fabrics I have made a wall hanging quilt.  The pattern came from accuquilt, Go for it Quilt Pattern PQ55018.  I have gotten a picture from accuquilt to show their pattern colors and then you will see mine below.  I do own an accuquilt Go, and have just a handful of the dies; and this quilt came from using the cutter. 


GO! for it Quilt Pattern- Free (PQ55018i) 


This quilt measures 36 inches square.  I machine pieced and machine quilted with just a tad of hand quilting.  This quilt as well as the bigger quilt have been on the to do pile for too long.  I would love to be able to hand quilt everything I make; but it is getting harder and harder to do.  The larger quilt I will continue to hand quilt.  Lap size and wall quilts are okay to try and machine quilt; but the larger they are, the harder it is for me.  I machine quilted this last week and sewed on the binding; and this morning I sewed on the strip to hang the quilt.  I can call this one finished!


Here is a view of the backside of the quilt.  I used different color threads to sew the different blocks.  And then to make it a little bit more country; I used a homespun check fabric to bind the quilt.  These quilts I call "my favorites".  I love the colors and patterns.  

Sandra

p.s.  I was working on a completely different quilt with bright Spring Colors and my machine broke and I had to take it in to be serviced.  I brought out my trusty Aurora 440 Bernina Quilters Edition and it was great to do the machine quilting on the wall hanging.  Perfect machine stitches!




11 comments:

  1. Don't you just love quilts made using more than one type of block! And log cabins are so much fun to work with. Beautiful colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another lovely quilt to display in your home, it is very striking. How wonderful that you own a accuquilt Go....do you find it saves you a lot of time, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are lovely quilts. I enjoyed the peek at the Accuquilt version of the second. It always amazes me how different fabric choices for a pattern can produce something that looks comepletely new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilts - it is amazing how different a quilt can look by changing the colors - I think your version stands out better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that little quilt ... I much prefer your fabric/color choices. And not just because I love the colors ... I think your choices really accentuate the pattern so much more. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These quilts are absolutely gorgeous.. among my favorites that you have posted thus far. Your color combinations and workmanship in Cabin Maples is second to none!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice combo of the leaf block and a log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Quilt! you're a master at Quilt making! love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I love that you still hand quilt when you can. I would NEVER get anything finished if I hand quilted too! Using your leftover fabric for a wallhanging is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cabin Maples certainly deserves hand quilting - it's glorious! The rich deep colors really shine in the small one too. Plaid and checked bindings bias cut are my favorites. They just seem to say warmth and home.

    ReplyDelete