Monday, December 1, 2014

Quilt and a Doll

GRANDMA'S ATTIC QUILT

I used all scrappy prints in this little lap quilt; the border and accent is in maroon and muslin.  This quilt measures 40" X 58".  I machine pieced this quilt and machine quilted.  But, I always need to add more so I added some hand quilting.  Below is a close up of the stitches.


I used different shapes on different areas of the quilt.  I only hand quilted on the muslin color fabrics.  It never seems finished to me until you have a bit of hand quilting done.  Below is another photo of the quilt with better lighting.  This was a fun quilt to make. 



Please click on the pictures and they should open to a larger size.  I hope you have enjoyed my post for today.  I had fun sharing with you.

I have not had a chance yet to work on my little Christmas Around the World quilt top.  We spent time making a quilt design board instead.  My husband put up a backboard and stretched flannel over it for me; it measures approximately 60" X 72".  Now I can place quilts on the wall and take pictures to share with you.  Negative 17 degrees was our low for today.  Having a special place to sew and quilt, and stay inside is so wonderful.   

Sandra
Prairie Patchwork Quilts





5 comments:

  1. Hand stitching adds just the right extra bit of something special to your quilt. It seems like a good quilt to snuggle under on the couch when it's that cold outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO pretty!! Love the extra touch of the hand quilting. I also like to sew for dolls and make dolls.
    We've been about 40 degrees cooler than yesterday, but at least there was no snow. I don't know how you stay warm when it gets that cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my 17 degrees below.....now that is cold! Your pretty lap quilt will be just the thing to make you warm and cosy. Your doll's dress is so pretty. I love that she is dressed in pastels for Christmas; the fabrics and embellishments are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doll quilt is adorable and the quilting is awesome! The doll dress is darling and she looks ready for Christmas! I have 2 antique dolls and 2 doll beds and love to make doll clothes for my GD's dolls. I need to make some clothes for her smaller dolls. She has an 18" doll and I have lots of patterns for that one and not so many patterns for the smaller dolls. I also collect lace and trim from garage sales, so I have lots to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this post so much! Both the quilt and the doll's clothing are real treasures. Love the special little touches of lace and fancy stitching.

    ReplyDelete